Monday, June 9, 2008

graduation money = bike toys

well first of all, a little picture of the bike carnage from my crash a few weeks ago (the one in the race, not from the car wreck)
too bad. that was a good wheel. i've since bought and am racing on a set of ROL race SL's. ROL is a wheel company based in Denver and they sponsor Team Evergreen, the team i race for. They're a pretty seriously awesome wheelset, and i like them as much as the Ksyrium SL's that I destroyed.

In other news, i got a fair amount of money for graduation, and instead of doing the "wise" thing and putting into savings (BORING!!), i immediately started shopping for and comparing power meters. Some say that training with power is the most effective way to train, and i'd have to agree. Naysayers will try to point out that training with power "takes all of the fun out of riding a bike" but... all you have to do is put the computer in your pocket and forget about it and voila! you're not training with power anymore. I opted for the Powertap SL2.4 because of its light weight and wireless transmission. I was torn between going with a wired version for a little bit less money, but figured what the heck, i never buy nice things, so i might as well buy something nice for the first time in my life. Here it is on my bike:
you'll have to excuse the bazillion spokes behind my bike in the picture, i had it set up next to my townie and mtb. I also bought myself a nicer set of Northwave Aerlite 3 shoes. Compared to the Shimano R-099's i was riding on (which were made for "sport/fitness", and certainly not racing), these are waaaay stiffer, better fitting, and much better looking:
That's all for now.

Upcoming Races:
-Table Mt. Criterium (Tuesday)
-Record Racer TT (Wednesday)
-Glenwood Springs RR (Saturday, hopefully)
-Glenwood Springs Criterium (Sunday)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If riding is fun, then I don't what you are doing wrong....

Anonymous said...

Stumbled by here by accident while searching for pocket money toys :-), but I'm glad I did, great blog, well done.