Sunday, October 12, 2008

cyclocross and winter training

well winter training is going well so far. I've made it through my first 4 weeks of training (10, 12, 15, and 12 hours respectively), and i've loved it so far. A few days up on peak to peak highway during the time when the aspen leaves were changing (which was beautiful), a few flat days, and a few days on the cross bike.
Cyclocross racing has been so much fun. Even though i've only done one race so far (the 2nd in the Boulder cyclocross series), I loved it and I've loved the training. My mounts and dismounts could use some work, but my riding is really good. The bike i'm riding is a Kona Jake (which i've renamed the Jimmy because it's way more cool) with a 39-48 double instead of the heavy and useless triple it came with. It performed just as well as i was hoping during the race. No missed shifts or any problems at all with the drivetrain even in all of the mud.
i finished 42nd out of around 65 starters, which isn't bad for my first race considering all i was goinig for was a good time and to see if i liked it or not. The only improvements i'd go for on my bike would be a different fork (mine is a super stiff steel, straight blade fork that doesn't soak up ANY hard hits at all) and maybe different pedals for some better mud-shedding pedals, although muddy races in Colorado are few and far between. Below are a few more photos from the race:

No comments: