Sunday, March 30, 2008

UNC crit and spring break

well last weekend was the UNC crit up in Greeley and it went pretty well. Again, my problem was placement on the last lap, and that I worked too much during the race. My pack skills are getting to be really good, i just work too hard during the race. Like my friend dave says, i need to be greedier during the race. I finished 8th, which isn't bad at all, but i would've liked to have done much better. I was also saving myself because later on in the day was the 1,2,3 crit and i wanted to do well in that one with some pro riders to get a feel for that group. Unfortunately i found out i had to work later on that day so i wasn't going to have time to ride a 75 minute crit, go home and shower, and make it to work on time. =( oh well. More important than my finish was how i felt during the race, and knowing that i was never farther back than 10th place is very important for crit racing, and if i can just bump my fitness up another 5%, i can start winning races instead of just having a ton of top 10 finishes.

this past week was spring break, and i didn't get to ride at all, which is kind of scary for me. I'm gonna ramp up my efforts this week and race crazy hard next weekend to get back into the swing of things. maybe a week off will serve me well as i've been training and racing hard up until now, and my peak race isn't until the first weekend in july.

In other news, even though i just got my team kit from Team Evergreen, I'm applying for a spot on the Waste Management team, which is the feeder team for Jelly Belly, which means that i'd be racing for a team which could place me on a pro team in a couple of years if i work hard enough. Pretty exciting stuff, but i'm going for the hope for the best and expect the worst attitude towards getting on that team. I'm willing to work hard to race fast, but i just don't know if i'm fast enough yet to race on a team like that. Here's hoping! That's about it. Gotta ride lots this week and get my legs back.

No comments: